Get current PYC news and join the discussions at PYCnews.com
Our newsletter, Branch Creek Harbor News, is now online and the format is interactive. This is where you can find the most up-to-date PYC news and start or join a discussion with other PYC members. Come take a look at PYCnews.com.
Winter Membership Meeting - March 8
Please plan to join us for the PYC Winter Membership Meeting on Saturday, March 8 at the Kansas Speedway Media Center. The Board of Governors will present important information regarding the budget and special projects slated for 2014. Here's the schedule:
12:00 - 1:00 pm Potluck Luncheon
1:00 - 4:00 pm Winter Membership Meeting
Please plan to bring a dish to share. Soft drinks and beer will be provided.
For more information and directions, visit PYCnews.com.
Your 2014 PYC board
• Commodore: Ed Hockenberg
• Vice Commodore: Rich Wells
• Rear Commodore: Sean Kalic
• Secretary: Penny Morgan
• Treasurer: Terri Tilford
• Dock Master: Lee Cline
• Sail Education: Help Wanted - Inquire Within!
• Buildings and Grounds: Chris Ross & Tom Flynn
• Communications Director: Bruce Liese
• Harbor Master: Adam Switzer
• Assistant Treasurer: Doug McCall
• Social Director: Kelly Switzer
• Yearbook Editor: Bill Buckheit
• Past Commodore: Mij Frierson
By Ed Hockenberg,
The Perry Yacht Club Board of Governors formally invites all members to join us for the annual Winter Meeting to be held at the Kansas Speedway on Saturday, March 8th. A potluck luncheon begins at noon followed by a formal presentation beginning at 1:00 p.m. More information and driving directions can be found here.
My comments this month will be brief as a wide range of topics will be discussed at next month’s meeting. A few topics to look forward to include:
- Long-term solutions and budgeting for the floating breakwater. Kyle Ruona with the Corps of Engineers has graciously volunteered to address the group and field your questions.
- The 2014 racing season schedule has been finalized and can be accessed here. Rear Commodore Pat Allen’s recent article at PYCnews.com contains more information and a link to the 2014 racing schedule. Please note the annual racer’s meeting will be held on March 1st at 1 pm at Kansas City Sailing in Lawrence. Racers should make every effort to attend this meeting covering a range of topics including changes to scoring, committee boat assignments, committee boat work day efforts and the Commodore’s Cup regatta.
- A review of the 2013 financial results and presentation of the 2014 budget. Included in the 2014 budget are several proposed cost outlays including the replacement of our main waterline valve pit, work boat repairs/replacement and a chase boat for youth sailing and races. The need for upgraded security features and a long-term solution for the floating breakwater remain a high priority.
- The recent club survey will be fully-reviewed and the comments critiqued. I would encourage everyone to review the results of the survey which can be accessed via a link embedded in the aptly-titled article below.
- A new extended-weekend youth sailing instructional camp has been developed for both current and prospective members.
My sincere thanks to all that have sent in their deposits or full membership dues for the upcoming season. Final payment is due by March 1st so please plan accordingly. Those lacking renewal packages should reach out to Assistant Treasurer Doug McCall as soon as possible. I remain very encouraged about the upcoming season as the lake level currently stands at 891.27, just shy of the pool level and with the expectation that recent snowfall will provide some much needed runoff.
See you next month at the Speedway!
Year-End Survey completed by more than 50 members
On November 24, 2013 PYC members who paid their 2013 dues received an invitation to complete the 2013 PYC Year-End Survey. Two weeks later, following one e-mail reminder, more than 50 members had completed the survey. By any standards, respondents provided valuable information to the Board of Governors, likely to well-represent the views of most PYC club users.
As you can see by the Commodore's Corner to the right of this column, Ed Hockenberg has begun to summarize highlights of survey results - and there is a lot to summarize! I presented more than 50 slides to the Board of Governors at our December meeting. If you are interested in seeing these slides they can be found by clicking on this link.
If you have any questions about these survey results please let me know (email@example.com). And as Ed mentions in his column we look forward to summarizing highlights of these results in future PYCnews.com articles.
Bruce S. Liese
PYC Director of Communications