Kansas City Sailing, LLC- Sail Camp, 2017
June 9-11, July 7-9, & August 4-6
Perry Yacht Club (PYC) and Kansas City Sailing are excited to announce our 2017 Sail Camp sessions for this summer, 2017. Sail Camp sessions are open to the general public. If you know a child between the ages of 8 and 16 years old who might wish to attend Sail Camp the following information is for you.
Overview of PYC Sail Camp...
- Sail Camp will consist of three-day sessions, starting on Friday morning and ending Sunday afternoon. Campers may enroll in any number of sessions.
- Sail Camp is able to accomodate campers at any skill level, from beginners to experienced sailors.
- Sessions will be fully structured and taught by certified American Sailing Association (ASA) Instructors.
- There will be combined on-the-water and off-the-water activities.
- On-the-water instruction will take place mostly on Sunfish, 420,Optimist, and Hobie sailboats.
- In order to enroll as a camper, a child must be 8-16 years old on on the first day of camp.
- Campers who are not PYC members will have the option of camping on PYC property with their parents (who will be required to be together at all times after hours).
Beginner PYC Sail Camp curriculum...
This level is for campers who have never sailed and especially younger campers who need a refresher or confidence-builder before learning more advanced skills. We will focus on sailboat parts, rigging, wind dynamics, water safety, capsize and recovery, knots, basic steering, tacking, jibing, launching and returning to the dock. A major goal of this session is to teach campers to confidently single-hand a small sailboat.
Intermediate/Advanced PYC Sail Camp curriculum...
This level is for those campers who have successfully completed Beginner Sail Camp or can confidently sail alone, steer, and dock a sailboat. We will focus on: improving tacking and jibing, trimming sails to achieve boat speed, basic racing skills, driving and crewing on larger keel boats, single-hand sailing.
PYC Sail Camp schedule - dates and times...
Sail Camp sessions, Fridays-Sundays. Camp runs from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Campers must be dropped off between 8:30 and 9:00 am. Pick up is no later than 4:15 pm. Camp size is limited to 10 students per session.
Fees... The cost for each 3-day session is $250 for PYC members, $300 for non-members. The price includes instruction, lunch, snacks, and additional materials. All fees are nonrefundable, regardless of whether the camper attends their session. Reservations for each session are complete only when fees are paid in full.
Safety and miscellaneous...
- Children attending PYC Sail Camp should expect to be at camp all day and participate in all activities. Nonmember campers may stay on campgrounds provided they are always with their parents or guardians when camp is not in session.
- Parents must provide sunscreen, PFDs, liability releases, authorization to treat medical problems, and a code of conduct agreement.
- Parents may participate as observers if they wish.
- PYC Sail Camp will provide lunch, snacks, and water each day.
- Campers must wear a personal flotation device (PFD) at all times when on the water, and those without a PFD will not be allowed in the boats.
- Campers must pass a basic swim test on the first morning in order to attend camp.
- The use and proper fit of the PFD, boat/weather safety, hydration, and sun protection; as well as respect for the equipment, boats, and grounds will be covered on the first day.
- It is highly recommended campers complete the KS. Boater Safety course prior to camp. (https://www.boat-ed.com/kansas/)
For more information or to sign up for PYC Sail Camp...