Kansas City Sailing, LLC- Sail Camp, 2017
June 9-11, July 7-9, & August 4-6
Perry Yacht Club (PYC) and Kansas City Sailing are excited to announce our 2017 Sail Camp sessions for this summer, 2017. Sail Camp sessions are open to the general public. If you know a child between the ages of 8 and 16 years old who might wish to attend Sail Camp the following information is for you.
Overview of PYC Sail Camp...
- Sail Camp will consist of three-day sessions, starting on Friday morning and ending Sunday afternoon. Campers may enroll in any number of sessions.
- Sail Camp is able to accomodate campers at any skill level, from beginners to experienced sailors.
- Sessions will be fully structured and taught by certified American Sailing Association (ASA) Instructors.
- There will be combined on-the-water and off-the-water activities.
- On-the-water instruction will take place mostly on Sunfish, 420,Optimist, and Hobie sailboats.
- In order to enroll as a camper, a child must be 8-16 years old on on the first day of camp.
- Campers who are not PYC members will have the option of camping on PYC property with their parents (who will be required to be together at all times after hours).
Beginner PYC Sail Camp curriculum...
This level is for campers who have never sailed and especially younger campers who need a refresher or confidence-builder before learning more advanced skills. We will focus on sailboat parts, rigging, wind dynamics, water safety, capsize and recovery, knots, basic steering, tacking, jibing, launching and returning to the dock. A major goal of this session is to teach campers to confidently single-hand a small sailboat.
Intermediate/Advanced PYC Sail Camp curriculum...
This level is for those campers who have successfully completed Beginner Sail Camp or can confidently sail alone, steer, and dock a sailboat. We will focus on: improving tacking and jibing, trimming sails to achieve boat speed, basic racing skills, driving and crewing on larger keel boats, single-hand sailing.
PYC Sail Camp schedule - dates and times...
Sail Camp sessions, Fridays-Sundays. Camp runs from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Campers must be dropped off between 8:30 and 9:00 am. Pick up is no later than 4:15 pm. Camp size is limited to 10 students per session.
Fees... The cost for each 3-day session is $250 for PYC members, $300 for non-members. The price includes instruction, lunch, snacks, and additional materials. All fees are nonrefundable, regardless of whether the camper attends their session. Reservations for each session are complete only when fees are paid in full.
Safety and miscellaneous...
- Children attending PYC Sail Camp should expect to be at camp all day and participate in all activities. Nonmember campers may stay on campgrounds provided they are always with their parents or guardians when camp is not in session.
- Parents must provide sunscreen, PFDs, liability releases, authorization to treat medical problems, and a code of conduct agreement.
- Parents may participate as observers if they wish.
- PYC Sail Camp will provide lunch, snacks, and water each day.
- Campers must wear a personal flotation device (PFD) at all times when on the water, and those without a PFD will not be allowed in the boats.
- Campers must pass a basic swim test on the first morning in order to attend camp.
- The use and proper fit of the PFD, boat/weather safety, hydration, and sun protection; as well as respect for the equipment, boats, and grounds will be covered on the first day.
- It is highly recommended campers complete the KS. Boater Safety course prior to camp. (https://www.boat-ed.com/kansas/)
For more information or to sign up for PYC Sail Camp...
There are many ways to participate:
-Sail in o the Series Races or one of our Weekend Races.
-Volunteer to help on the Committee Boat
-Enter the Commodore’s Cup Regatta
-Sign-up to Crew for an experienced skipper
-Volunteer to help Organize the Commodore’s Cup or other Weekend Race
Keel Boat, Multi-hull and Centerboard Series
Series racers compete for the Club Championship as well as fleet trophies. All members are welcome to enter the series program. If you’re interested in racing, but don’t want to race your own boat, consider crewing for one of the Skippers. It’s a great way to learn the ropes. We are always looking for volunteers to run or help on the committee boat and are happy to teach those that want to learn.
The season will offer the Round Perry and 4th of July Firecracker two day series
Twice a year we race around the lake (about 18 nautical miles) in the Trans Perry or Round Perry Race. Some skippers choose to enter this alone or single handed to test their sailing skill. Check the race schedule link to see all that is offered this year.
Commodore’s Cup Regatta
This weekend long event brings racers from all over to compete in their fleet and for the overall Champion. 2 days of racing plus food and entertainment make this a very special weekend.
Any group of boats that wants their own start is welcome. This is a great way to try out racing. Sometime beginners will form a fun or beginner fleet to dip their toes into the fun of sailboat racings. Whether you want to race your own boat or crew for another, all you need to do is register /show up at the skipper’s meeting before any of the scheduled races.
Info about membership goes here
We’re proud to be an organization of, by, and for our members. No outside economic interests decide our agenda, and that sets us apart from many other marinas and clubs. We’re equally proud of our facility. Perry Yacht Club lies off the beaten path -- literally and figuratively. Many of us think of the club as a weekend home away from home, a welcome respite from our everyday cares and responsibilities. Morning mists in summertime, flocks of white pelicans in the fall, and soaring bald eagles in winter inspire a sense of awe and respect for our world, feelings often lost in our day-to-day lives. And as for the sailing…
Perry Lake has earned a reputation as the best place to sail in the region, and for good reason. The lake boasts lots of water, great wind, few powerboats and a great group of sailors. You’ll soon find yourself looking forward to every weekend at the club.
As a member you’ll have the chance to participate directly in the management and maintenance of the club, and we encourage every member who can to get involved. Members lend a hand when needed, pitch in at our club opening and closing days work days, host any of the club’s many social events, and even run for a position on the Board of Governors. PYC has no executive staff; the quality of the club is up to us!
8369 Yacht Club Dr
Meriden, KS 66512